Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Is it 2017 yet?

How many of you are ready for 2017 to be here? Can you believe that this year is almost over? Are you thinking or saying, "is it 2017 yet?"

With recent celebrity deaths, tragedies we see on the news, and daily events, some people are over 2016. I know I have had my moments of wanting to shove 2016 out the door, but I also have had moments of wanting to hug 2016 as well.

I have been reflecting and have to say that I am happy/pleased with the results of this year...we have been through a lot with our family, and I really am grateful for all the ups and downs, the good, the bad, happy, sad, laughter, tears..it has shaped us, and I think in a way, has prepped us for whatever 2017 may offer.

Highlights of 2016 for us...

1. Sam applied to This Able Veteran. He was accepted into the April 2016 class and graduated with Memphis.

2.  We were engaged in December 2015, and married on the beach June 14, 2016.

3.  I graduated (finally) from graduate school! Sam, Memphis, my dad Jim, and my friends Aubrey and Tally attended my defense and listened to me babble/answer questions about my work.

4.  Kirsten finished a travel ball season with a new team, SI Aftershock...she is now in 14U age group. We met a lot of new families and softball players.

5.  Caden has worked very hard on his reading skills, and is a Harry Potter fan...tackling the books.

6.  My parents and in-laws were able to travel to Florida with us to celebrate our wedding. This was very special for us as a family.

7. Sam finished another year of graduate school at SIU!

8.  Sam left SIU as did the VITAL program, but he is now housed at the main campus of the Marion VA.

9. I accepted a teaching position at John A. Logan College.

10. We have been blessed with good health!

11. Sam and I had the opportunity to travel for work/school. Sam and Memphis flew to Palo Alto, California, and I flew to Denver, Colorado for a conference.

12. We've been blessed to see many of our family and friends who don't live near us--we love taking road trips and have had the chance to visit (even if it is a day trip) some of our favorite places.

I would also like to add that I had Portillo's twice in 2016 as well...✌

I look forward to 2017 and the opportunities we will have--the blessings to come--and the adventures that await.

As far as blog material, content, and options go, I am looking at broadening the reach of what this blog covers and the people who read. Look for email options to come soon, as well as a daily or weekly update.

We hope that you have a great 2017--we look forward to sharing more expereinces with you all (and of course pictures of Memphis, too!).

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year---here's to 2017!
-The Hoekstra's


No comments:

Post a Comment