Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Stop. Breathe. Smile.

Today I heard a commercial on the radio (yes, the radio) and a few of the lines I can remember were stop, breathe, smile...or something along those lines. The commercial for Pass One Hour Heating and Air was their version of a Christmas card and it has been with me since this morning when I heard it air.

The holidays always bring about some hustle and bustle...and unfortunately they bring about bad manners or bad attitudes in people. I witnessed that today. Sam and I had a quick lunch date at Culver's in Marion. Let's just say that it is really new, and that new hasn't worn off yet.

It was crowded. People stared as we walked in. We actually got a seat, in the middle of the restaurant where a man and woman watched us eat our meal the entire time. I'm honest when I say that every time I would look up or at Sam these people were watching us from their table. I had a moment of "what if I know her?" Nope. Didn't know her.

There was a man sitting next to us at a table for four. No one with him, but his technology and a coffee mug. Behind me a family of three kept searching for a table. This man did not move. Not that he had to I suppose, but surely he could have offered his table?

We ate so quickly, I think Sam felt as if he were back in a chow hall. It was so uncomfortable that we didn't talk much, we tried to eat as quickly as we could and get out. Sam kept one hand on Memphis the entire time. Memphis was so good (as always). I was flustered because Sam was flustered, and what should have been a nice little lunch date during the week was the worst trip to Culver's.

I remembered that commercial. In my head I was thinking these things:

Stop. Stop feeling uncomfortable, Cathrine...be grateful you had time during the week to meet Sam for lunch.

Stop thinking that everyone is watching you because your husband has a service dog.

Breathe. Everything is going to be alright. One "bad" lunch experience is not going to ruin your day.

Breathe because if there's too much negative energy spilling over from me, that could be bad for Sam.

Smile...you are a lucky girl, you got to have lunch with your husband, and you went to a new place (okay, not really new, but new to our area).

Smile because no matter how hectic and chaotic that experience was, today is still a good day.

The holidays are joyous for some, and a struggle for others. While the holiday season is suppose to be one filled with joy, love, family, friends, there was a brief moment that I didn't feel those things today over lunch. Lunch was a struggle. All I had to do was stop, breathe, and smile.

Sam texted and apologized for being so uncomfortable...that made me tear up because he knew it was going to be a tough situation, but we did it---we stuck it out. It was crowded, people were everywhere, and people were watching every table just incase someone finished eating and a spot was open.

Memphis wasn't uncomfortable. He was making sure Sam was okay. Memphis wasn't upset it was crowded. He was right beside Sam. Memphis didn't even notice all the people, or those who took an interest in him. He was focused, he was doing his job.

I wish I could have an attitude like Memphis at times...

In the upcoming days, I hope that you can take some time to stop, breathe, and smile. Even if you have a bad lunch experience, you wake up late, you have too many presents to wrap, or even if you still have shopping to finish--stop, breathe, smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment