Wednesday, December 14, 2016

182 Days...

It has been 182 days since I married my best friend. 182 days since we were married on a beach (on Sam's birthday). 182 since our parents and children joined us while celebrated in Florida. 182 since Memphis went to the beach and tried to "eat" the water/waves.

A lot has happened in 182 days.

Recently, Sam and I had an anniversary...now this anniversary is much different from the ones I mentioned in a previous post. This anniversary was for our engagement.

Here's the story.

Some of our dear friends own a restaurant in St. Louis (Soulard to be exact). We registered to run in the St. Louis Hot Chocolate 5K (without much training or prep), so we drove up the day before the race. As usual, we didn't have any set plans for our mini road trip/weekend getaway...or so I thought.

We went to Twisted RAnCH, had a delicious meal, and after picking up our race packets, we decided to go to IKEA. Exciting, right?  What I didn't know is while we were having dinner, Sam asked our friend Jim if he could propose to me on the rooftop of their loft (without me knowing anything about it).

Yep. We got engaged on the rooftop of a loft in St. Louis.

I just thought we were going to IKEA. I didn't realize that stopping by the loft to "drop off our bags" was code for "I'm going to propose to you."

So, we decided to go up to the rooftop to look at the various Christmas lights around the city because, hello, the view! And then I turned around and Sam was down on one knee.

I said yes. 💗

And the next day we celebrated by running a 5K. I thought I was going to die a couple of times, but I ran a race with my soon-to-be-husband. That was pretty awesome.

And how did we celebrate running a race together as future Mr. and Mrs.? We went to Twisted RAnCh to eat.

So many things have happened in 2016 for us. We were married on June 14 (did I mention on the beach?). We were engaged on a rooftop in St. Louis overlooking the city. We took a few road trips. We went to some softball tournaments for Kirsten's travel team. I graduated with my Master's degree. Sam was able to travel for his job to Palo Alto. I was able to travel for a conference to Denver. And Sam went through the trauma resiliency program and graduated with Memphis, his beautiful service dog from This Able Veteran. We have three dogs in our house, and we stay busy. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Yes, we have three dogs. In addition to Memphis we have Kip, a Chihuahua/Pug mix, and Archie, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Do they all get along? Yes. They play, share toys, and I think the little dogs often wonder why and how the big dog always gets to leave the house...

I think of all of the good that has come to us in 2016, and it makes me eager for 2017. I can't wait to see what this journey has in store for all of us. I think of all the challenging times, and am thankful we had those opportunities to learn something, grow stronger together, and love each other even more than we thought possible.

I hope you can think of the good that came to you, and your family in 2016. You may even remember some challenges and you may long for a new start in 2017. I hope you are excited about what can come for you in a new year...I know we are.

We are blessed beyond measure. 
Our first "family" photo taken on June 14 in Navarre Beach, Florida.






No comments:

Post a Comment